Molecular methodologies are crucial to our understanding of human population diversity, as well as our evolutionary relationships with nonhuman primates.
The completion of the Human Genome Project has given researchers a complete human reference sequence of genes. Combined with very important advances in sequencing and bioinformatics technologies, genetic research projects are now of a multidisciplinary nature.
Anthropologists have the tools to seek information related to questions concerning the origin of the human species.
Genomics in Biological Anthropology: New Challenges, New Opportunities explores the impact of new advances in molecular methods, such as DNA sequencing, amplification and analysis on our knowledge about the genetics of prehistoric and existing humans.
Topics covered in this volume include an overview of genomic projects, mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) analysis, ancient DNA, mutation rates in chromosome Y, genomics of isolated populations, complex phenotypes and forensic anthropology.
This volume is a concise primer for students and general readers learning the basics about human genetics, human evolution and biological anthropology.
- HUMAN GENOMIC PROJECTS: SETTING THE STAGE FOR GENOME-SCALE ANTHROPOLOGICAL STUDIES. Cristina Santos, Mafalda Raposo, Amanda Ramos and Manuela Lima.
- COMPLETE MITOCHONDRIAL DNA THROUGH MASSIVELY PARALLEL SEQUENCING: METHODOLOGY AND APPLICATIONS. Sofia L. Marques, Ana Goios and Luis Alvarez.
- SOMATIC VS GERMINAL MUTATIONS IN MITOCHONDRIAL DNA: IS THERE ANY RELATION WITH HUMAN HEALTH AND AGING? Amanda Ramos, Maria Pilar Aluja, Manuela Lima and Cristina Santos.
- HUMAN Y CHROMOSOME MUTATION RATE: PROBLEMS AND PERSPECTIVES. Paolo Francalacci, Daria Sanna and Antonella Useli.
- GENOMICS OF ISOLATED POPULATIONS: INFERENCES FOR GENE-FINDING STUDIES. Manuela Lima.
- COMPLEX HUMAN PHENOTYPES: THE INTERPLAY BETWEEN GENES AND ENVIRONMENT. Mar Fatjo-Vilas and Barbara Arias.
- ANCIENT DNA: FROM SINGLE WORDS TO FULL LIBRARIES IN 30 YEARS. Marc Simon Martinez and Assumpcio Malgosa Morera.
- TROUBLES AND EFFICIENCY OF ADNA. Marc Simon Martinez and Assumpcio Malgosa Morera.
- ADNA METHODOLOGICAL REVOLUTION. Marc Simon Martinez and Assumpcio Malgosa Morera.
- COMPLICITIES BETWEEN FORENSIC ANTHROPOLOGY AND FORENSIC GENETICS: NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR GENOMICS? Eugenia Cunha and Manuela Lima.